Handling a Spotty Work History (Job Hopping and Employment Gaps)
Presenting your experience in a proper manner is extremely essential, especially since it will help employers gauge your stability in employment. It is, therefore, vital that you evaluate your situation and determine how bad it is. The situation will be regarded as extremely bad, if you have been struggling with unemployment for several months or years. If this is the case, you need to start strategizing straight away.
In case you are worried about employment gaps, you might consider doing the following:
- Think about activities that can be used to fill in these gaps. However, you ought to be careful that the activities relate to the job target. The activities do not need to be those that you were paid for, but they could also be voluntary in nature. You could consider things like special events, continuing education and consultancy among others.
- If the gaps in question are short, you could consider eliminating months from your resume. You should use your objective section to summarize your qualifications and goals, then go ahead to list them in a chronological manner. You do not need to put specific time frames.
- In case you have been out of the job market for a long time, you should highlight the fact that you have been keeping up to date with current trends and that you are ready for job in the industry.
- In case you have been out of work to continue education or to raise a family, the tone in which you write your resume should not be apologetic. There is nothing wrong with being out of work for any reason, but if you are negative about it, it will affect that quality of your resume.
On the other hand, if you are concerned about job hopping, you should consider doing the following;
- Today, there is little concern about job hopping, especially since some fields are prone to short employment periods. If in such a field, you have no reason to worry, since the employer will understand.
- The way that you handle job hopping will depend on the companies and job titles you have held. However, one way that has been known to work is lumping similar positions together. This way, you will make it seem like one title, as opposed to many. If you lump the titles together, you ought to leave out the companies under which you were working.
- You should understand that you do not need to include each and every job title you have held on your resume. You can, therefore, leave out certain titles, especially if they are not so relevant under the circumstances.
- Use a cover letter to explain your history and spin it to your adv
The Pros and Cons of Online College DegreesHaving a college degree program from online has its own benefits. We can observe this benefit through the money we can save, flexibility of time, and also in physical location. While these are true, there may be just a few disadvantages. This includes limited instructor interaction and tendency to procrastinate. Take your time reading and absorbing them.THE PROS:Savings - what could be more convenient than having an online college degree program for less? Having an online degree program saves you considerable cost because the lessons are online. Physical books take up the bulk of education costs. Imagine the financial savings you could have because the information you get from those books are already at your fingers tips. Tuition fees are also minimal in comparison to conventional schools where you contribute for the use of school facilities and miscellaneous matters. Also having online colleges financial aid makes availing of online programs much compared to conventional schooling.Location - this is a very obvious advantage for any online college degree program. Imagine the hassle and hustle of traveling to school every day. This benefits those who are living in remote or country areas who don't want to commute or move to big cities just to attend college. Even if you are in other parts of the world, you have access to any online degree program.Time - is an important element on every academic endeavor. Because we are living in a fast-paced environment, it is liberating to know that there is an available scheme for someone who wants to get a college degree in the schedule and time that he wants. The greatest benefit to time is that you can get your degree and work at the same time.THE CONS:Less instructor-student interaction - a downside to taking online degrees is that it deals less with instructor interaction. This is a disadvantage especially in matters where you have not fully understood the basics principles of some lessons or topics. Interaction with your instructor can help deepen your understanding about certain topics. However, this is offset by instructor interaction scheduled talks, online chats, regular e-mails, or social networks.Tendency to Procrastinate if student is lacking self-discipline - the convenience of online education can have a drawback if the student is lacking in self-discipline since there are no physical school authority figures to follow-up your progress. The tendency then is to feel relaxed. However, if you are motivated enough to earn your degree in the fastest time possible and reap the benefits in the future, submission of assigned work and projects should be no question to you.Looking at the pros and cons, one can safely say that the cons can be easily surmounted by the self. Seeing and reaping the benefits of the pros is enough motivation for anyone to finish their online degree education.